Top 10: Best Places to Go with a Hangover in Kalamazoo
- Article by Ashley Loomis
- February 14, 2011
10. Maggie’s Café If you live on the west side of campus, chances are Maggie’s is only a block or two away from your crib. They serve sandwiches, but are best known for their sweet, sweet breakfast deals. Best Hangover Meal: The Breakfast Stew. A perfect, greasy combination of cheesy scrambled eggs, hash browns, sausage, and bacon. It will cure your hangover within minutes of eating this amazing breakfast creation. Don’t forget to pick up an awesome Maggie’s t-shirt. They’ve been curing hangovers since 1985!
9. Menna’s Joint Who doesn’t love a dub filled with potatos, cheese, and egg? Menna’s in notorious for curing hangovers with their go-to guide for breakfast. Don’t be afraid to get a little wild with it, too. Extra toppings on a dub is just extra flavor, and that’s never a bad thing.
8. Theo and Stacy’s This classic diner located downtown is one of Kalamazoo’s classics. The staff is old but extremely friendly. They have the most awesome breakfast platters for around $6 or less. After you’ve spent the past 8 hours drinking your ass off ‘til the wee hours of the morning go ahead and fill your gullet with 2 pancakes, 3 eggs, sausage, bacon, toast, and some OJ. That ain’t bad for the price! Don’t forget to tell them you’re a student and you get 10% off!! SWEET MEAT!
7. The Strutt The Strutt gets a rap as just being a hipster’s paradise, but the staff is super schweet and know how to cook a damn good meal. Most of their food is homegrown, local or organic and they make some of the best grilled cheese sandwiches on the planet. If you’re looking for an ultra-chill vibe while trying to kill your hangover The Strutt is a great place to eat yummy food while trying to forget those 10 shots of Patron you did the night before.
6. Bilbo’s Usually I would never suggest pizza as a go-to food for curing a hangover. However, Bilbo’s pizza is a gift from the almighty God himself. Their one-of-a-kind crust and top notch ingredients has the mega powers to cure any headache, stomach ache, or heart ache. It’s true. Don’t deny the Bilbo, you ass. If you have a raunchy night with Waldo’s Thursday night pitchers head over to Bilbo’s before 5 p.m. on Friday for their rad weekday lunch special.
5. The Grotto For some of you whores that only show up to The Grotto on the weekends at 9p.m. for drunken debauchery I’m here to let you know that they actually have a kick ass menu that every person should experience sober once in their life. Head over there after a mega-hangover has taken action and order one of their burgers. Your stomach will thank you.
4. Dogs with Style If you’re like me and you love a good sip o’ the gin mid-week because you’re finally a senior and don’t have any bullshit day classes, Dogs with Style is a great place to go during the week after you’ve woken up next to an empty bottle of tequila. The hotdogs are great but the fries are a sweet taste of heaven that is perfect for any common hangover. The place is owned by some old dude and maybe his brother and they’re only open Monday-Friday 11 a.m. – 3p.m. If you happen to stumble out of bed before then their fries are a MUST HAVE.
3. Checkers If you’re a broke ass after spending all your coin at The Entertainment District over the weekend Checkers is a classic example of pure, basic hang over food. They have chicken sandwiches, hamburgers, cheese sticks, and SO MUCH MORE. Checkers is the Mecca of all things delicious and greasy.
2. Sophie’s Pancake House Are you an alcoholic? Are you currently hungover? Do you love pancakes? Ding ding ding! We have a winner! Sophie is the queen of all queens when it comes to making the best pancake mix. She clearly puts something in her recipe to fix the nagging feeling we all get after pounding a dirty thirty of Keystone.
1. Taco Bob’s If you’ve met Taco Bob you know he’s fucking awesome. $5 gets you many tacos and a drink (I think). He makes the most delicious, hangover-ready taco meat IN THE WORLD. When I first walked in I thought, “what’s so special about this? I could make this shit at home” but then the power of Bob’s tacos came over me. I realized the complete ordinary flavor of his tacos you can find in a 69-cent bag of taco seasoning at Harding’s was the reason my drunken stomach was triumphant with free will.