The Black Sheep Job Board
Ah, so you’ve found us. Please, do come in; close the door behind you and let us light this scented candle. So, you’re interested in working for The Black Sheep? Is it the fact that we’re a student driven-media company that drew you to us, or did you like how we’re a fast-growing company with products at over fifteen universities in the United States? Do you like the challenge of working for a growing start-up, one that understands a college student’s life is busy, and works to accommodate their schedules? Well, then you should read the job descriptions below and then apply online to the job that best suits your unique set of skills. While you do that we’ll go uncork a bottle of fine wine. Well, we’ll take the cardboard off the front of the box.
Benefits of Working for The Black Sheep
• Regular feedback and constructive criticism on your week-to-week work from our professionals at our corporate offices Chicago
• Advice and feedback on resume and cover letters
• Letters of recommendation directly from your Campus Director at The Black Sheep headquarters
• Preparing and training for interviews
• Access to Black Card Media’s network of business associates and partner companies, who are frequently looking to hire recent college graduates
• Opportunity for advancement into a managerial position for your school, as well as participate in our year-long internship program
• Be considered for a full-time position with Black Card Media after graduation
• Invitation to our annual corporate events around the nation
• Gain real world experience in management, editing, and promotions years before your classmates
As Campus Manager, you will oversee all the content, marketing, promotions, and distribution for The Black Sheep on your campus. Ultimately, you are responsible for making sure you have the best staff in place to create and promote the best newspaper possible, all while having complete training and support from your corporate-level director. This is a paid position.
• Overseeing the Editorial Manager, Social Media Manager, Marketing Manager and
Distribution Manager to ensure their responsibilities are executed in a timely manner
• Conducting regular meetings with the staff to brainstorm ideas for content, marketing and promotional ideas, and distribution issues
• Recruiting, interviewing and hiring fellow classmates for The Black Sheep positions
• Promoting a fun and exciting work environment by creating social events to boost staff morale and cohesion
Campus Managers can expect to spend 8-10 hours a week tending to managerial responsibilities.
As Editorial Manager, you will oversee all the content, photos, and creative concepts for The Black Sheep on your campus. This is a paid position.
• Conducting regular meetings with the editorial staff to brainstorm ideas for the upcoming issue as well as online content
• Assigning, collecting, and editing all articles for issues and online content
• Enforcing deadlines, and disciplining those who continually miss deadlines
• Interviewing and hiring fellow classmates for The Black Sheep writing positions
Editorial Managers can expect to spend 5-6 hours a week enforcing deadlines, editing articles, and attending the weekly team meeting.
As the Distribution Manager for The Black Sheep, you will work with your Logistic Director and Campus Manager to create or maintain a distribution plan, manage distribution assistants, and ensure that The Black Sheep is well-represented at locations across your campus community, including businesses and housing that cater to students at your school.
You should have access to a car, a strong understanding of your campus layout, and be great with deadlines and communication. This is a paid position with the pay level tied to the quantity of papers being distributed.
Distribution managers should expect to spend 8-10 hours per week distributing their route and attending team meetings.
Social Media Manager
Through Twitter the Social Media Manager will be asked to grow and maintain a strong, local student following on his or her campus, then use that audience to promote The Black Sheep to readers and fans through regular, humorous, original online interaction. This is an unpaid position, but Social Media Managers can gain class or internship credit.
Social Media Managers can expect to spend about 3-4 hours a week scheduling tweets, following and unfollowing, keeping the account active, and attending weekly meetings.
In short, student writers write entertaining, social, and above all humorous content for The Black Sheep campus newspaper and website. Writers will be expected to contribute one article (approximately 600 words) each week. Beyond writing, writers are to attend content meetings held every issue cycle. This is an unpaid position. but Staff Writers can gain class or internship credit.
Writers should estimate spending 3-4 hours per week writing and attending the weekly meeting.
The goal of the Campus Promotions Manager is to continue building brand awareness through weekly Street Teams and small monthly events. In this position, you will be asked to provide trackable, tangible results that will in turn provide you with exceptional skills in strategic marketing, public relations, and event planning. This is a paid position, but Promotions Managers can gain class or internship credit.
• Coordinate and execute Street Teams—a weekly endeavor by which we get papers directly in the hands of students -- to ensure maximum distribution and reach on campus
• Create a unique and exciting promotional plan to brand The Black Sheep with small, frequent events on campus, drawing maximum exposure and awareness to our readers and advertisers
• Help promote The Black Sheep in all mediums -- print, online, and mobile (our iPhone and Android Apps) to the campus community
• Hire and manage a promotional team under you to help ensure successful events, promotions, contests, and ongoing brand awareness campaigns
Each week the Promotions Manager should plan on dedicating 3 hours to the organization and execution of Street Teams, as well as an hour towards the execution of the small monthly event on campus and an hour to the weekly team meeting.
Guerrilla Marketing Captain
As Guerrilla Marketing Captain, you will oversee all of the marketing efforts for both The Black Sheep and our partner clients. You will work directly with our National Marketing Director to craft the most strategic and stealthy marketing tactics for your campus and your Guerilla Marketing Team, which you will build and manage. This will include, but is not limited to, organizing and conducting street teams, dorm storms, classroom/Greek announcements and other strategic marketing activities. This is a paid position for current undergrad students.
You should have access to a car, a strong understanding of your campus layout, and be great with deadlines and communication. This is a paid position with the pay tied to the projects carried out for our clients.
Varies based on client needs; roughly 15-20 hours per month.
This paid internship position provides motivated, hardworking and socially active individuals the opportunity to learn core communication, marketing and sales strategies on an individual level while simultaneously working closely with the local Black Sheep team to promote our print, mobile and online platforms. We also offer internship credit and the opportunity to grow within the company, which is always a great bonus! Please note that we do require at least 10-12 hours per week commitment.
• Continually seek out and approach new potential advertisers
• Maintain existing business relationships to ensure that clients are overly satisfied with The Black Sheep
• Work with clients on their marketing plans to ensure their message is correctly targeting the college market
• Properly delegate and communicate ad designs, proofs and changes for each client
• Work closely with local marketing and creative team to help build brand awareness
• Attend launch party promotional events and sponsorships
• Work with management team for professional mentoring
What we're looking for:
• Currently enrolled as an undergraduate
• Ability to WORK HARD and have fun
• Excellent presentation, communication, and problem solving skills
• Self-motivated and organized individuals
• Actively involved in campus organizations; socially active in general
• A good sense of humor
• MUST love College
• Sales or marketing experience preferred
The Black Sheep is an Equal Opportunity Employer.